Rotterdam is a city in the west of the Netherlands. It lies on the banks of Nieuwe Maas formed by the Rhine and Meuse rivers. The city is well known for a number of museums and the tallest structures in the Netherlands. For instance, the Erasmus Bridge (also called the Swan) is a 790-meter bridge in length and 138 meters in height. The New Orleans Tower is the tallest residential construction in the city. Rotterdam has best European Skyline and can compete with Frankfurt, London, Paris, and Moscow.
Rotterdam hotels are numerous. To make the right choice, search for Rotterdam hotels on Booked.net. On the website you will find a range of hotels to meet your budget and preferences.
There are lots of interesting sights to see while in Rotterdam. The most visited tourist attractions include:
- Museum Boijmans Van Beuningen established in 1849. It has a stunning collection of old and modern art, as well as prints and drawings. Collection of surrealism represented by Salvador Dali is also exposed.
- Nederlands Fotomuseum features photography and diversity of its forms.
- Maritime Museum displays various expositions about the city’s history and maritime industry.
- Chabot Museum located in a stunning 30's villa and exposes paintings of Hendrik Chabot.
- Het Schielandshuis records the history of Rotterdam. It lies in the heart of the city in the only remaining 17th century building.
- Grote of Sint Laurenskerk is a late-gothic church that dates back to 1449. Large organ and the graves of Dutch sea heroes are worth seeing.
- Pilgrimfathers' church constructed in 1417. It is located in one of the Rotterdam’s boroughs, Delfshaven, renowned for the Pilgrim Fathers.
Among other great places to visit there are museum of Dubbelde Palmboom, where you can learn how Rotterdam turned into a world port. Natuurhistorisch Museum would be of particular interest for children. It exposes mammals, plants and fossils, etc. Oorlogs Verzets Museum will give you an insight into the life in Rotterdam during the Second World War. City Hall, built in 1914 has free excess and houses great status in the main part of the building. Walk around the city and see the statutes of famous people in the history of Rotterdam. For instance, Erasmus Statue, opposite the Grote of Sint Laurenskerk, De Verwoeste Stad Statue by Ossip Zadkine, Sylvette by Pablo Picasso are the most notable.
Windmills are of course the landmarks of Rotterdam. Currently the city houses seven windmills only. You can get excess to De Ster and De Lelie. Shall you be travelling with children, Rotterdam Zoo is the place to go. Here you can walk through different parts of the world and view animals that represent each of them. The Oceanium is also available on the territory. For a nice promenade, make it to the Arboretum Trompenburg, the seven hectare park. Otherwise, Botanische Tuin Kralingen is a rather small but beautiful botanical garden worth a stroll.
Booked.net will assist you in finding the best Rotterdam hotel to meet your expectations. Please have a look at Rotterdam hotels for full information, photos and guests’ reviews.