It was the beginning of a new civilization.
Established more than 400 years ago when the first stone of Guanajuato city was laid by Spanish conquistadors, charmed by the natural beauty of this land and its rich soils, they intended to challenge the pride of Spain - Toledo. In the conquered lands of Central America they decided to build a city of even more grandeur.
This ambitious plan was largely a success. It is hard to argue which of the cities is more beautiful. One thing is certain: Guanajuato makes a strong impression.
See with your own eyes one of the most charming places in Mexico, the city of Guanajuato which was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage Site, Booked.net can offer you a wide range of accommodation in Guanajuato hotels. From cheap to luxury hotels in Guanajuato check out our listings.
Once you are in the city, you can visit:
- Alhondiga de Granadistas built in 1799 as a granary, later the building was used as a prison and fort, the gates of which were demolished by a folk hero “El Pipila”
- Virgin Mary Basilica - stores the image of the Virgin Mary, patroness of Guanajuato, inlaid with precious stones
- Gabriel de Barrera Hacienda is a museum today and an excellent place for spending time as this magnificent colonial mansion is surrounded by sprawling gardens
- Rule and Valencia Mansion was built in the style of neoclassical Francisco Eduardo Tresgueresom in the late 18th century by Conde de Rule, a wealthy mine owner
- Piazza San Roque - in the southwestern part of the square there is the church of the same name
- Statue of the Christ the Almighty - 20-foot bronze statue of Christ the Almighty was placed in 1950 on de Kubilete hilltop 15km from Guanajuato. It is believed that the statue is located exactly in the geographical center of Mexico
- Valenciana Mine has been extracting 20 percent of the world’s silver over 250 years.
Surrounded by low mountains, with its neat houses often painted in bright colors, narrow streets and alleyways and many old colonial buildings is a city of a unique charm – Guanajuato.
Let it charm you with Booked.net.