Seaside cosmopolitan, Bremerhaven is a very young city.
In 1827 the city of Bremen bought the lands from the Kingdom of Hanover and made Bremerhaven its new harbor. Trade, fishing and shipbuilding have been very important in Bremerhaven, and the emigration to United States was very popular in the 19th century. Visit the popular German Emigration Center for better understanding of the process that took place in the lives of millions of German immigrants.
Fantastic nature, outstanding museums and fabulous events, Bremerhaven has something for all kinds of visitors. Make your stay unforgettable with the help of Booked.net. Book the best hotels in Bremerhaven at the lowest price directly on our website and save money.
Historic fishing port is the pulsing vein of the city. Visit entertainment section of the port, the Schaufenster Fischereihafen, attracting tourists with the cozy maritime pubs and fish restaurants, a salt water aquarium and bustling world of shopping. Take a daily tour in the Lloyd Werft visitors’ centre, where you can take a closer look at the work on the wharf from the viewing platform 19m high. Make a stop at the Simon Loschen lighthouse, one of the most popular sights in Bremerhaven. Built in 1853 in the style of German brick Gothic, marvelous lighthouse is the oldest on the North Sea coast.
Other attractions include;
- German Maritime Museum is one of the main attractions of the city. It was opened in 1975 and consists of the indoor museum and open-air exhibits of the magnificent ships, including Hansekogge built in 1380, Wilhelm Bauer U-boat and the windjammer Seute Deern.
- Bremerhaven History Museum conveys the history of the region in surprisingly entertaining way. Instead of the listening the boring lectures, observe interesting exhibits and reconstructions. Don’t miss the most stunning view of the city from the upper area of the museum. One of the exhibits is the imposing ship FMS Gera.
- The museum ship Gera is the only deep-sea fishing museum in Germany. With the help of detailed films and exhibitions get the whole picture of the life and work on board of the vessel in the early 1960s.
- The Zoo at the Sea is an interesting adventure for the children and adults. Explore the life of polar bears, seals, penguins, tortoises and many more animals in the unique habitat. The Zoo gives an impression of the immense landscapes, deserts of ice and vast tundra. You can observe swimming penguins and cute diving bears through the underwater window.
- The Museum of Art in the center of the city contains an interesting collection of the works of the important artists. Since 1886 Art Association Bremerhaven has been buying rare pieces of art and in 2007 finally received the Museum of Art to expose its collection
Visit one of the numerous maritime events of the city such as fishing port fun run, when walkers, runners and rollerbladers compete on the coast. Cheerful event provides live music, fishing port buffet and lots of fun. Another big event that takes place in Bremerhaven is fantastic Sail Bremerhaven, the international Tall Ships Festival. About a million people come to see the old and new sailing ships, while the harbor transforms into a giant party area with fairgrounds, parades and the “cinema in the harbor”. The highlight of the event is the fascinating fireworks on the water.
Diverse, hospitable and interesting city, Bremenhaven is an attractive travel destination. Plan your visit in advance, booking the cheapest hotel in Bremenhaven or the most luxurious one at Booked.net. We offer you a number of the best hotels at the most affordable price from our vast database.