The northern city of Porto is the second largest city in Portugal. The city’s vast history dates back to the 4th century making it one of the oldest cities in Europe. Porto’s cultural heritage coupled with the Mediterranean climate and the 16km long coastline also makes it one of the most popular tourist destinations in Europe. Visitors also flock to sample the finest wines produced in Porto, since the place is renowned its wine tasting culture. Accentuated by the beauty of the Douro River, Porto is a perfect city for any-type of vacation.
Hotels are numerous here and located in different parts of the city. To get an affordable base for your vacation, book with Booked.net and save money on your accommodation. The full range of cost-effective options with extensive descriptions of each Porto hotel can be found on our website.
Porto is included in the World’s heritage list due to the grand importance of its architecture. The most famous places of interest include:
- The Porto Cathedral in the central city was built in Romanesque style in the 13th century. The cathedral is one of the city's oldest monuments
- Church of Saint Francis in the city’s historic centre. The church has an outstanding interior designed in Baroque style
- Palacio da Bolsa constructed in the 19th century as a stock exchange to persuade the European investors to invest in the town
- Serralves museum with a great collection of contemporary art. On the territory of the museum there is an 18 hectares park with beautiful sculptures and fountains;
- Casa da musica built by the famous architect Rem Koolhaas in 2005. Nowadays it is the most important music hall in Porto. Even if you are not planning to attend a performance, the irregular-shaped building is itself worth a look.
Porto is definitely a city for walkers. An amazing boulevard – Avenida dos Aliados in central area of the city offers visitors the chance to promenade along the grand buildings, lovely cafes and soak up the Portuguese atmosphere. The Porto City Park is another area for a perfect stroll. This vast park occupies 80 hectares and leads to one of the gorgeous beaches. In case you prefer the panoramic view of the city over a glass of wine, you should definitely head up the Gaia hillside. This is also the place where you can take a guided tour at one of the wine lodges and get an insight into winemaking.
Porto is a truly European city with numerous things to see and do. Absolutely gorgeous beaches and the Atlantic Ocean make it even more attractive for travelers. Everything you are looking for can be found in Porto. Come over and enjoy the sunshine and the blue waters in one of the most important cultural spots of Europe. Booked.net will assist you in finding the best places to stay. Everything from budget hotels to high class accommodation is listed and available on Booked.net.