Funchal is the largest Portuguese city in the south of Madeira Island, located on the shore of the Atlantic Ocean.
The city has numerous banana plantations, lush gardens and high mountains. The city is blessed with all-year round sunshine which makes it a popular tourist destination. Funchal is a perfect place for water sport, such as surfing and diving. On your days free of sunbathing, you can go swimming with dolphins or whale-watching. Promenades along the mountain woods, boat trips and golfing are also available to you in Funchal.
Funchal is famous for its grand four and five-star hotels overlooking the Atlantic. To make a good deal for money, it is worth booking with Booked.net. You will find a wide range of Funchal hotels from low-cost options to luxury hotels on the website.
The city’s history dates back to 1421 and thus has a significant cultural heritage. There are plenty of things to see in do. The major sights include:
- Jardins Do Palheiro, a park located at an altitude of 500m. Here you can see various plants from across the world and a great number of tropical plants blooming all-year round. The park is split on several gardens, some of which lead to the golf course.
- Madeira Botanical Gardens offers a stroll around 2000 plants. This is one of the top attractions in Madeira.
- Santa Clara Convent founded in the 15th century. Here you can see the burial place of Madeira’s discoverer Joao Goncalves Zarco.
- Sao Lourenco Palace was originally the residence for Madeira’s governors. Nowadays the palace serves as a national residence.
- Se Cathedral is the first church built in Funchal. Its architecture is a fusion of Gothic, Moorish and local styles.
The Market - Mercado Dos Lavradores is another great spot worth visiting. On its two levels you can find fresh fruits and vegetables from across Madeira. This is also the place to look for freshly caught fishes. If you fancy taking a stroll in the picturesque spots, Monte Palace Hotel Gardens is the place for you. On the territory of this defunct hotel you will find a Chinese garden with a beautiful lake and stunning artwork pieces.