The City of Peace. This statement defines cultural and political life of the city Osnabruk. It is famous for the Osnabrucker Rathaus, the town hall where the historical Peace of Westphalia was signed in 1648, putting an end to the Thirty Years War. The city is proud of its two outstanding residents: the writer Erich Maria Remarque and Jewish painter Felix Nussbaum. In memory of two great persons, Osnabruk founded Erich Maria Remarque Peace Center to tribute the humanistic ideas of the writer and opened the Felix Nussbaum House with the exhibition of the artist’s works. Besides the rich historical and cultural heritage, there is so much to enjoy in the city. Osnabruk is located in the marvelous nature reserve Terra.vita, the biggest in Germany, which was awarded UNESCO Geopark status in 2004.
The important historical and cultural center, Osnabruk is a catch for the visitors. Plan your journey in advance with the help of Booked.net. You will find the cheapest hotels in Osnabruk and the most luxurious ones at the best possible price in our vast database.
The city Osnabruk is so small that it can be easily explored on foot, on the bike or on the horseback. Pay a visit to the historical town hall where the Peace of Westphalia ended the Thirty Years War in 1648, have a closer look at the remains of the old city wall, enjoy the postcard-looking Old Town with half-timbered houses and medieval churches and take a picture at a yellow building of the castle dating from the 17th century. Set off for a shopping in the city centre with over 500 shops and later on relax in the open-air cafe, breathing the peaceful air of the city where talented Erich Maria Remarque took his first steps in writing.
- Osnabrucker Rathaus, the town hall where Thirty Years War was drawing to a close.
- The Castle of Osnabruk is located in the center and now serves as the residence of the local university.
- Dom or Cathedral of St. Peter dates back from the 11th century. Between 1502 and 1543 one of the towers of imposing edifice was enlarged.
- Erich Maria Remarque House contains the exhibits dedicated to the life and work of the great writer.
- The unique building of the Felix Nussbaum museum was constructed by Daniel Libeskind. The museum contains the largest collection of the works of the famous Jewish painter.
- The UNESCO Geopark Terra.vita is a huge nature reserve around the city. Enjoy the charming nature, picnics and open-air activities.
- Zoo of Osnabruk houses large variety of animals, including the rare species in the numerous aquariums and terrariums.
The Marktplatz of Osnabruk is the most loved place in the city. Its beautiful houses and romantic atmosphere attract visitors as well as the residents of the city. In December the Marktplatz becomes a magical fairytale-like place with the souvenir stalls, culinary delicacies, the largest music box in the world and the huge fully functional nutcracker. In 2004 the Osnabruk Christmas Market was voted as the best Christmas Market in northern Germany.
Marvel at the historic houses and churches, visit museums, go for a shopping and enjoy fantastic events of the lively city Osnabruk. Stay in the best hotels of Osnabruk at the lowest possible price with the help of Booked.net. Find the best deals on the hotels at Booked.net.