“One thinks Heidelberg by day – with its surroundings – is the last possibility of the beautiful; but when he sees Heidelberg by night, a fallen Milky Way, with that glittering railway constellation pinned to the border, he requires time to consider upon the verdict.”
The famous American writer Mark Twain heaped this praise on one of the most beautiful towns of Germany in his travel book “A Tramp Abroad”. Charming Heidelberg, situated in a valley of the Neckar River, is one of the few German towns that never suffered during World War II bombing. You should definitely include remarkable Heidelberg into your European journey.
Heidelberg is a romantic heaven, famous for its outstanding nature and architecture. Find the best hotels in the most beautiful locations of Heidelberg for the lowest price at Booked.net. We offer you a vast selection of the cheapest hotels in Heidelberg and luxury ones at Booked.net
Explore Heidelberg on foot. You can also rent a bike and travel the streets of Heidelberg as local residents do. Heidelberg’s must-see is the Old Town with the maze of narrow streets, museums, theatres and cinemas. Among the long list of outstanding attractions to be found in the Old Town is the old stone bridge. The side streets in the Old Town are the best place for shopping, offering antique and modern fashion, jewelry and porcelain, everything you can imagine. After a long day you can have a snack in one of the numerous pubs and restaurants in this part of Heidelberg.
Other attractions include;
- Old stone bridge was built in 1786-1788. The medieval bridge gate is quite interesting; it has been preserved since then.
- Heidelberg Castle’s architectural style contains elements of medieval, Renaissance and Baroque periods. Explore the castle gardens and the wine cellar with the largest wine barrel in the world. The ruins of Heidelberg Castle are considered to be one of the most important pieces of German culture.
- Palatinate Museum is located in the Palais Morass, beautiful baroque residence. Outstanding museum contains rich collections of paintings, sculptures, prints, historical documents and ancient artifacts.
- Haus Zum Ritter is a beautiful house that was constructed in 1592 in German Mannerist style.
- Die Heiliggeistkirche, built in 1400-1441, is the oldest church in the town.
Follow the path of Heidelberg’s many professors and philosophers on the Philosopher’s Walk. The 300-year-old world-famous path offers a magnificent view of Heidelberg and Mediterranean-like climate. Get the inspiration from astonishing views of town’s castles and charming greenery of the Philosopher’s Garden.
Another place worthy of your attention is “Karzer”, located behind the Old University. Until 1914 “Karzer” used to be the prison for students with bad behavior.
Enjoy the trip to Heidelberg, a jewel among German towns. Book the cheapest hotels in Heidelberg directly at Booked.net. From cheap hotels to the ones with luxuries, we have the best offers at Booked.net