The city of science, Darmstadt was rewarded with the nickname for a good reason. High-tech center, the city is the home to the numerous scientific and research institutions with the Technical University Darmstadt, established in 1877, on the top of the list. Important spacecraft operations such as the European Space Operations Centre and European Organization for the Exploitation of Meteorological Satellites are as well located in Darmstadt. Scientific city is one of the few cities in the world that have chemical element named after them; Darmstadtium has been synthesized in GSI Centre for Heavy Ion Research. You will be surprised to find out that other chemical product originated in Darmstadt; notorious drug ecstasy was found in 1912 by the chemist Anton Kollisch, working for the Darmstadt’s pharmaceutical company Merck.
Darmstadt is located very conveniently for the tourists; the road to Frankfurt Airport will take only 20 minutes. Make your journey even more comfortable with the help of Booked.net. Book the cheapest hotels in Darmstadt or the most luxurious ones from our database and save money.
The cultural heritage of Darmstadt goes back to the times when the city was the residence of the Grand Duke. Visit the famous castle Frankenstein from the 13th century, 33 meter column commemorating Ludwig I in the middle of the Luisenplatz and the New Palace in the city centre, the residence of the Grand Dukes of Hesse. The New Palace is also known as a birth place of the last Empress of Russia, Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna Romanova. You should also visit the Russian Chapel built by Russian Tsar Nicholas II and his wife Tsarina Alexandra. The magnificent building with the golden onion domes is considered to be an outstanding example of the Art Nouveau style, so popular in Darmstadt.
- Castle Frankenstein dates back to the 13th century. Some people believe that the castle inspired the novel “Frankenstein” of Mary Shelley, although the historians didn’t confirm this theory.
- Precious examples of the Jugendstil period include Russian Chapel, English-style rose garden Rosenhohe and the most interesting Mathildenhohe where artists lived and worked. In Mathildenhohe you will find the best works of Art Nouveau such as the private houses of the artists and unique Marriage Tower. Don’t miss the Artist’s Colony Museum in Mathildenhohe.
- The Waldspirale or Forest Spiral is a surreal multicolored building famous for its interesting design: there are no straight lines and sharp corners in the building and all the windows have different shape.
- Porcelain Museum originally contained the private collection of the Grand Duke Ernst Ludwig. The Museum houses precious exhibits of royal porcelain and faience, the works from Berlin, Vienna, Meissen and outstanding Imperial Russian porcelain.
- Orangerie is the beautiful garden with the Baroque pavilion and the fascinating fountains.
The city of the Jugendstil art every year celebrates Art Nouveau Festival with acrobats and performers in Art Nouveau dresses. The programme ends with the festival of lights in Mathildenhohe. Other event worth visiting is Heinerfest, the largest town centre festival of Germany. Live music, sport tournaments, children’s festival and fantastic fireworks at the end will be interesting to the whole family.
The city of science and arts, Darmstadt is an interesting place to visit. Stay in the best hotels of Darmstadt for the lowest price possible. Our vast database contains the best deals on the hostels in Darmstadt and luxury hotels at Booked.net.