Abilene is a city in Texas, located in Taylor and Jones counties.
The city’s history dates back to 1881, when it was founded by a cowboy as a stock shipping point. The actual name of the city was given by Clabe Merchant, a landowner north of Buffalo Gap. Abilene is a very green city, housing about 29 parks, which stretch along for more than a thousand acres. If you decide to take a trip outside the town, visit the Lake Fort Phantom. It lies north of town and attracts tourists for sport fishing. Abilene holds various events, the most famous of which are the West Texas Fair & Rodeo, which takes place in mid-September and the Western Heritage Classic in May. The latter includes ranch rodeo, sheepdog trials, Western art show and other entertainments.
Abilene houses various hotels for different purposes at various prices. Booked.net will assist you in finding the best Abilene hotel to suit your budget and preferences. A wide range of options from low-cost to luxury can be found on the website.
There is a number of remarkable sights in Abilene. The most visited tourist attractions include;
- T&P Depot constructed in 1910, with the last train departed from it in 1967. Currently the depot’s exterior reflects the 1920s appearance
- Abilene Christian University famous for its stunning architecture with elements of artworks
- Buffalo Gap Historic Village records the history of Texas
- Grace Cultural Center houses three museums which include art and history museum, as well as an interactive children's museum
- National Center for Children's Illustrated Literature exhibits works of children’s authors
- Frontier Texas provides an insight into the west central part of Texas
If traveling with children, the Abilene Zoo is a definite place to go. There you will find several hundred animals, including black rhino, South American maned wolves, armadillos, skunks, and many others. For a movie, please check out the Premier Cinema 10, located inside the Mall of Abilene while for a play, Century 12 by Cinemark is the largest theatre in the city. Carmike Park central 6 and the Historic paramount theater are among other famous spots that stage plays. The latter is built in 1930 in the art-deco style for theatrical and musical productions. Mall of Abilene is a shopping spot with lots of restaurants and gift stores.
There is no need to go further than Booked.net when looking for Abiline hotels. Various hotels with full description, photos and guests’ reviews are available on the website.