The pretty little town along the shores of the Lake Maggiore, Locarno is a Swiss paradise. Fantastic combination of the imposing Alps with the magnificent lake in addition to the 2300 hours of sun a year are the main reason that people from around the world like to spend time in this outstanding Swiss resort. And that’s not it, for the town itself is an interesting place to hang around. You can easily forget that you are in Switzerland, because the town with the narrow streets where no cars allowed, postcard-like pastel houses and picturesque flower gardens incredibly resembles Italian town. It even sounds like Italy, the official language of Locarno is Italian. It’s impossible to stay indifferent to the charms of Locarno.
Old houses with arches, columns and arcades will bring you to the peaceful romantic mood. Make your journey to the fairytale-like Locarno unforgettable with the help of Booked.net. At our website book the cheapest hotel in Locarno or the one with luxuries and save money.
Walk the cobbled narrow streets of the old town center, designed for pedestrians only, and enjoy the charming Renaissance houses with numerous art galleries and antique stores. Taste delicious fresh-made pizza and pasta in the Italian restaurant, have a cup of Espresso Macchiato in the cozy cafe or try something European in the international restaurants of the town. Visit the two main attractions of Locarno: marvelous Castello Visconteo built in the 12th century on the edge of the old town and the world-famous pilgrimage church of Madonna del Sasso, which offers a stunning view of the city, the lake and the mountains. You can also take the bus to the mountains’ valley Vallemaggia and explore the small village Bignasco with the pretty houses made of stone. For the breathtaking view set off on the boat trip on Lake Maggiore and take the best photos for your album.
- Castello Visconteo is a castle built in the 12th century. It is named after the Visconti clan that attacked the castle and took it by force in the 14th century. Nowadays, the castle houses Archaeological Museum.
- The Church of Madonna del Sasso, located above Locarno, attracts pilgrims from around the world. The famous painting La Fuga in Egitto by Bramantino is worthy of your attention.
- Chiesa Nuova or New Church was built in the 17th century. Outside of the baroque building you will see the giant statue of St Christopher.
- Chiesa di San Francesco, built in 16th century, is famous for the frescos by the work of Baldassare Orelli.
- Astrovia Locarno is a model of the Solar System which runs along the river Maggia.
- Charming town Ascona is located nearby on the shore of Lake Maggiore. Ascona houses eleven Swiss heritage sites of national significance.
Locarno’s (and maybe even Swiss) most important event is undoubtedly the International Locarno Film Festival. For two weeks in August the town transforms into vibrant cultural metropolis and the Piazza Grande converts into the fascinating open air movie theatre. Crowds of visitors come to take a part in this event, so make sure to plan your trip in advance. Not as grand but still charming event is the exposition of the Camellia flowers in April that marks the beginning of the spring.
Palms, camellias, magnolias and oleanders; the lake and the mountains and beautiful architecture constantly attract visitors to this beautiful resort. Plan your trip to Locarno wisely with the help of Booked.net. In our vast database you will find the cheapest hotels in Locarno or the most luxurious ones at the lowest possible price.