Cusco a former capital of the Inca is the oldest city in America.
The ruins of the city became the basis for the Spanish architecture that exists today. Walking through the narrow streets, limited by the walls of the Incas, you sense the history that still lives here.
In Cusco, the entire Inca Empire is reflected: the city was divided into four parts, corresponding to the four areas of the state, and four roads led to the conquered provinces. In the city people from distant places were located in neighborhoods corresponding to their native provinces.
If you plan to visit Cusco and are looking for a hotel to meet your needs and budget, Booked.net can be your ultimate advisor in selecting the right accommodation. From cheap Cusco hotels to luxury search our online listings.
The city is full of historical places; here are the major worth seeing:
- Cathedral or the main Catholic church in the central Plaza de Armas, with an eight-ton bell made of pure gold
- Church of El Triunfo, the church Holy Family Convent of Santa Catalina, Santo Domingo church, located in the former Inca Temple of the Sun Koricancha, a museum of religion, art museum
- Sacsayhuaman (“Bird of Prey gray stone color”) - a monumental archaeological site at an altitude of about 3500m above sea level - three parallel zigzag walls, stone “throne of the Incas. Scientists believe that there was an astronomical observatory and the house of reconciliation of the Incas
- Puka Pukara, the red fortress, built on the road leading to the Inca Empire and runs through the jungle
- Tambo Macha - the sacred baths of the Incas
- Kenko Temple - built in the shape of a zigzag or a labyrinth and is dedicated to the Goddess of the Earth
- Pisac - Inca citadel on top of mountains and the town at its base
- Sacred Valley of the Incas - this is the main axis of the whole world and all the Inca civilization
- Ollantaytambo - giant city-pyramid, the Archaeological Park, a stone fortress at the entrance to the valley of Urubamba to 97km from Cusco
- Chincheros - typical village or town outside the Quechua Indians of the Valley at an altitude of 4000m
- Machu Picchu - the lost city of the Incas
Cusco is an extraordinarily vivid, colorful and bright modern place, where you can delve deep into history without time machine. Start your living history lesson with Booked.net.