The capital of Ecuador, San Francisco de Quito is also called ‘the middle of the world’ due to its close proximity to the equator.
The city is located in the highlands of Ecuador about 2,800m above sea level. It is surrounded by volcanoes and the Andes mountains. Because of its location, Quito is blessed with warm weather almost all year round. The active Pichincha volcano is the closest to Ecuador’s capital. It is worth noting that Quito is the only capital in the world that lies close to a great number of volcanoes.
Quito hotels are numerous and are placed all over the capital. Booked.net offers you a wide choice of hotels from cost-effective options to luxury hotels. On the website you will find detailed information regarding the hotels location, their facilities, photos and guests’ rating. Please search on Booked.net and get the best deals possible.
Quito was among the first cities included into the UNESCO World Cultural Heritage List. Abundance of magnificent churches, cathedrals and museums makes this city the cultural centre of Ecuador. It is much worth visiting at least some of the greatest masterpieces of Ecuador’s cultural heritage:
- Cathedral of Quito, which belongs to one of the ancient churches in the South America. On its walls one can see inscriptions left by Francisco de Orellana when he started the expedition to the Amazon. The cathedral also contains tombs of important figures in Ecuador's history
- Church of the Society of Jesus which had been under construction for more than 160 years. It is a landmark of Latin American Baroque
- Church and Convent of St. Francis which construction was launched a few years after the city was founded by Spanish conquistadors
- Museo de la Ciudad, which provides an insight into the history of Quito
- Museo Nacional del Banco Central del Ecuador which covers the history of the country from pre-historic times to the current days.
Quito is also home to great nightlife and places to chill out. The best clubs, bars and restaurants can be found within the Mariscal area. The city is also famous for its parks. For instance, park Metropolitano Guanguiltagua is definitely worth a stroll. It is the largest park in South America where you can enjoy the eucalyptus forest with various sculptures displayed. If you fancy heading up to the mountains, take an aerial tramway to the east side of the Pichincha volcano. Here you can spend a day on the altitude of 4,100m, have lunch at one of the cafes and enjoy a spectacular view of the Andes.
Quito is an absolutely stunning place. To fully enjoy its unrivalled beauty, book a hotel on Booked.net. On the website you can find the best hotels to suit your preferences and budget.