The City of Eternal Spring.
That’s what the residents of Medellin lovingly call this beautiful Colombian city for the temperate climate all year round and the stunning views wherever you look. During the 1980s and 1990s, Medellin was known as one of the most dangerous cities in the world and home to drug cartels.
The most powerful drug lord in the history of Colombia Pablo Escobar took over the city during that time and ran his Medellin Cartel, making billions of dollars on drugs. However in the past decade the city won over the drug lords and has become a cultural and industrial center with the numerous facilities for international meetings and congresses. You will be amazed by the interesting history of the city, its fantastic climate, beautiful scenery, outstanding shopping, excellent restaurants and vibrant nightlife.
People who live in Medellin are very warm and friendly; they will help you stay in the city in comfort. Make your journey even more comfortable with the help of Booked.net. At our website find the best deals on the hotels in Medellin and save money.
To start to encounter the city, take a stroll in the heart of downtown. You will see Plaza Botero, named after the famous modern Colombian artist. On the Plaza you will find the 23 unique bronze sculptures by Fernando Botero. You can find other works of Botero in the Museo de Antioquia which faces the Plaza. Walk along the Carrera Street and you will encounter Medellin’s most important church Basilica de la Candelaria from 1770 and the oldest church in the city Ermita de la Veracruz. You might visit many more museums, parks and beautiful historical buildings in Medellin, but there is one tour you can’t miss, the Pablo Escobar tour. Only in Medellin you can visit the former home of Escobar, sit in his chair, see the buildings he owned, visit his resting place at the cemetery and gain an insight into the life of the notorious Colombian drug lord.
Other attractions include:
- Catedral Metropolitana is the monumental neo-Romanesque cathedral, constructed in 1875-1931. It is referred to as “one of the buildings in the world with the most bricks”
- Casa Museo Pedro Nel Gomez is the museum dedicated to the life and work of the famous Colombian artist. The museum houses the vast collection of the works of Pedro Nel Gomez
- Metrocables are the cable car extensions of the Metro. Take the Metrocable to Santo Domingo, enjoy the beautiful views over the city
- Jardin Botanico has exotic trees and plants, a lake, herbarium and holds the world-class exhibit of orchids every year in March
- Freshwater Aquarium inside the Parque Explora exhibits a great variety of freshwater wildlife. It is one of the biggest aquariums in Latin America
Every year Medellin holds numerous interesting events. The most popular festivals, which attract the tourists and residents of Medellin, are the March International Orchids Exhibition, International Festival of Poetry in June and 10 days Flower Festival in August with the parades, concerts and fantastic flower displays. The crown of the events is Los Alumbrados, one of the most spectacular light displays in the world, in December it turns the city into fairy-tale. Must see!
The home of beautiful parks, outstanding museums, rich history and culture, Medellin will find a place in your heart. Make your trip unforgettable with Booked.net. At our website choose the cheapest hotels in Medellin or the most luxurious ones at the lowest possible price.