Bruges is the capital and largest city of West Flanders in the northwest region of Belgium. Same as Amsterdam, Bruges is often referred to as "The Venice of the North" due to numerous canals that run through the city. Tours along the canals are fantastic and will provide you with history of the city, with some unreachable places to be seen. Along with canals, Bruges is famous for its chocolate shops and the tradition of chocolate-making. Bruges is a very romantic city with numerous horse drawn carts riding around the Old City.
Burges is highly visited by tourists. Thus shall you be seeking to avoid the crowded squares, make it to the cobbled streets away from the centre.
Bruges hotels are numerous. To make the right choice, search for Beruges hotels on Booked.net. On the website you will find a range of hotels to meet your budget and preferences.
The city is included in the UNESCO World Heritage list. Most of its medieval buildings remained intact and are well preserved.
- Church of Our Lady is one of the highest brick towers in the world. Its architecture is a fusion of Romanesque and Gothic styles. In the transept you can see Michelangelo's Madonna and Child sculpture. On the territory of the church you will also find tombs of Charles the Bold and Mary of Burgundy.
- Belfry erected in the 13 century. It houses 48 bells.
- Groeninge Museum exposes various artworks of local artists dating back to the 14th century and till the 20th.
- Basilica of the Holy Blood constructed in Gothic style. It houses a vial of blood belonged to Jesus Christ.
- Jerusalem church built by Italian merchants. It lies in the quiet area of the city and is very distinctive from other churches. You will also have a chance to visit the Lace Museum.
Among other notable places you can see the Begijnhof, a convent surrounded by small houses and trees. The medieval Hospital of St John can be of particular interest. It houses painting of Hans Memling. For chocolate tasters, there is also a place to attend. At Choco-Story Museum you can learn how chocolate is made from cacao. Chocolate making exhibition is definitely worth seeing. Diamond Museum offers various exhibits from mining to diamond polishing. Another interesting spot is the Friet Museum. Here you will get an insight into the discovery of a humble potato in South America and how it has evolved into a fry.
Booked.net will assist you in finding the best Bruges hotel to meet your expectations. Please have a look at Bruges hotels for full information, photos and guests’ reviews.