Salta is the southern end point of the excursion railroad Tren de las Nubes – “train to the clouds”.
Because of the big number of colonial period architectural monuments and the natural beauty of the surrounding valley, the city has been dubbed Salta la Linda – “beautiful Salta”.
This beautiful Argentinean city is located at an altitude of 1,190m above sea level, near the Bolivian border, and could have remained an unimportant provincial town, but for its main attraction - the statue of the Virgin Mary and Christ the Miracle Worker, located in the 16th century San Francisco Cathedral. Thousands of believers visit Salta to see the miraculous statue, which is credited with the ability to cure diseases and stop earthquakes.
Once you decide to visit this miraculous city, Booked.net can offer you a variety of accommodation opportunities in Salta hotels at affordable prices. Check our selection of hotels in Salta from cheap to luxury, book using our secure online system and pay for your stay when you check out.
Apart from the statue, when you are in Salta you cannot miss:
- City Hall - now a Historical Museum
- The picturesque central square
- The many Jesuit churches
- The monastery of San Bernardo
- The pedestrian mall of La Florida and the bustling market where you can find original works of traditional folk crafts
- "Train to the Clouds" comfortable train which starts from Salta every Saturday and goes to the provincial capital with the lost in the mountain town of San Antonio de los Kobres. The train moves along the banks of the deepest canyons, crossing them on the seemingly weightless steel bridges, climbs to the foothills of Quebrada del Toro, and finishes its journey onto a dizzying height of 4000m above sea level.
Deep rivers, wooded valleys and unimaginable beauty make Salta an ideal place for any traveler. It is warm here most of the year; however the best time to visit is between May and November.