In San Juan history is a drawcard.
The oldest city in America, it was first settled 15 years after explorer Columbus discovered the continent. Since then it has been a scene for legendary events of America's development from bloody campaigns to pirate attacks.
You can soak up the city's history on your visit to San Juan. Be it a room in cheap hotel in San Juan to luxury offers all available at Booked.net. You can check them out before you check in with maps, photos and secure forms.
Location at a crossroads and its openness to water shaped the port in San Juan. It quickly lifted the city to the prominence of influential transportation hub and a powerhouse of the region. The city became a home to the Inquisition in the Medieval Age, but 20 years later it had abandoned this severe reputation. The success of San Juan allured pirates to the area and it was once captured by forces of conqueror George Clifford.
But San Juan lost its initial importance when neighboring Lima and New Mexico started to grow under Spanish rule. Despite the city taking a back seat to the leaders of the ''New World'', it still remained a military post due to its strategic setting. With Native American rule in the area a few industries started to breathe, but that growth was disturbed by the Great Depression.
Soon the city of San Juan decided to profit from its Caribbean setting. Thus, it changed interest from industries toward tourism and service-based jobs. Actually, the city has evolved into oil refining, sugar processing and brewing to satisfy own needs, but it is more of top Caribbean destination. Today tourists flock to the city for its great outdoors like excellent beaches, top-notch entertainments, forests and a cave complex.
Other attractions include;
- El Castillo San Felipe del Morro, a 16th century citadel, a part of the San Juan National Historic Site and Unesco treasured
- El Castillo de San Cristóbal, built by the Spaniards to fortify the city of San Juan
- El Catedral de San Juan Bautista has the tomb of the Spanish explorer Juan Ponce de León and was constructed in the 1520s
- Castillo de San Jerónimo. a small fort that defended San Juan from attacks by Sir Francis Drake in 1595
- Iglesia de San Jose, built 1523 it was originally called the Church and Monastery of Saint Thomas Aquinas
You can book a hotel in San Juan a stone's throw from any of these attractions.