"Houston, we have a problem" - it is a phrase that cemented this Texas city in the world's consciousness.
Originally used to report a fault on the the Apollo 13 moon flight, it now describes any problem. It is phrase you won't have to use if you book a hotel in Houston using Booked.net.
Missions like Apollo are synonymous with Houston, nicknamed "Space City" because of its involvement with space flight through NASA's Johnson Space Center.
However there is more to the fourth largest city in the United States than just its links with space.
While its primary function is that of a business hub, it offers plenty for those visitors who have no business meetings to attend.
Texas's most cosmopolitan city, it is the only major US city that does not use zoning. It makes for an eclectic street scape where you can find a high-rise apartment building next to a single-level Chinese restaurant. But this is part of the appeal of city, you might just want to get lost in.
Its varied attractions include;
- The Menil Collection, one of the best private art collections in the US, it features such surrealist works as those by Salvador Dali and Max Ernst and is spread across five gallery buildings
- The National Museum of Funeral History, here you can take a peak behind the scenes of life with the dead
- The Houston Museum of Natural Science
- Space Center Houston, the city's top attraction is the official visitor's center for NASA, where you can experience what it's like to walk in space or land on the moon. Visitors can also tour the NASA control center.
- Visitors to Space Center Houston often go for seafood at nearby Kemah, which is as touristy as the Houston area gets. It used to be a rustic shrimping port on Galveston Bay it features amusement rides and restaurants
Founded in 1836, the port and rail industry, combined with oil discovery in 1901, meant its population swelled rapidly. From various ethnic and religious backgrounds Houston is host to a large and growing international community. Its cultural institutions attract more than seven million visitors a year to, particularly to the Houston Museum District, which is made of 18 museums in total.
At Booked.net you can make a cost-effective booking of hotels abundant with all the amenities you need.