1 of the 100 best U.S. cities to live, Columbus has everything to make your stay unforgettable. The city has an interesting history and you can follow it walking the brick cobblestone avenues in the historic district or exploring the military equipment, weapons and uniform in the National Civil War Naval Museum. Columbus houses one of the largest collections of American art in the southeast, which can be seen in Columbus Museum.
The city attracts with the rich culture today as it did in the past when the famous Springer Opera House hosted great persons such as Oscar Wilde, John Philip Sousa and Franklin D. Roosevelt. Columbus also boasts with the fantastic parks and outstanding golf courses, great museums and impressive churches, high-class restaurants and active nightlife. This cozy and progressive city is a perfect tourist destination.
Columbus is home to 7 historic districts, which are on the list of National Register of Historic Places in Georgia. Book the best hotel in the district you choose with the help of Booked.net. We will help you find the cheapest hotel in Columbus or the one with the luxuries at the lowest price on the web.
It will take you at least several days to explore all the interesting landmarks in Columbus. Feel the excitement of space exploration in the Coca Cola Space Science Center. Discover the Riverwalk stretching for twenty two miles along the river Chattahoochee. On the Riverwalk you can stroll or bike, while enjoying the beautiful view and visiting interesting sites such as the Battle of Columbus, the closing battle of the American Civil War; the National Civil War Naval Museum with two original military vessels; Oxbow Creek Golf Course; Oxbow Meadows Environmental Learning Center with its wetland plants and wildlife; National Infantry Museum, taking you on a trip back in time, and more. Don’t miss Black Heritage Trail Tour, which begins at the last home of “Ma” Rainey, the Mother of the Blues and crowns with the historic black churches.
Other attractions include:
- Dr. John Pemberton House is a Victorian cottage with elements of Greek Revival, where the famous pharmacist who invented the formula for Coca-Cola used to live and work.
- Church of the Holy Family, constructed in 1880, is a gorgeous Catholic Church made in Gothic-Byzantine architectural style. Since 1980 it is on the list of National Register of Historic Places.
- Bellevue Mansion, built in the early 1850s for U.S. Senator Benjamin Harvey Hill, is one of the finest examples of Greek Revival architecture in the state of Georgia.
- The International Marketplace houses Southern Stoneware Museum, the Museum of Classic & Specialty Cars, Lunchbox Museum and the Antique Mall.
- Pine Mountain Wild Animal Safari is an exotic place where you can drive through the park and see wild animals face to face, touch them and feed them. Children and adults adore this attraction.
Columbus is famous for its outstanding events. Don’t miss the most interesting ones such as Riverfest with the Battle of the Bands competition, Salisbury Fair and the Greater Columbus Pig Jig Barbecue; Ossahatchee Indian Festival with American Indian dances, stories, crafts and food; and breathtaking Thunder in the Valley Air Show with the spectacular aerobatics, old airplanes and parachute teams.
Fabulous parks and fascinating sites, rich history and culture, fantastic events in Columbus won’t leave you disappointed. To make your stay unforgettable find the best deals on the hotels with Booked.net. We will offer you the cheapest hotels in Columbus or the most luxurious ones at the lowest possible price.