The city of fresh sea air, Kiel is one of the major maritime and shipbuilding centers of Germany. Water is the main element of the city, the sea extends right into its center. Fall in love with Kiel’s wonderful Fjord, the gift of nature lined with beaches, fishing villages and sport harbors. Have a look at the huge cranes in the shipyard and enormous ferries that carry passengers to Norway, Sweden, Russia and other countries.
Find what will be interesting exactly for you in Kiel, whether it’s a beautiful beach, a night out in the cozy restaurant, a walk in the old part of the town or some shopping. Booked.net will help you accommodate in the best hotel for a reasonable price. Find the cheap hotel in Kiel or luxurious one at Booked.net
The main attraction in the city is Kieler Woche, best known as Kiel Regatta, the world’s biggest sailing event. During one of Germany’s largest festivals the whole city gets the buzz of the party. The city center transforms into one giant party zone with abundance of international food and drinks. For the entire 10 days of the open-air festival observe acrobats, comedians and clowns on the streets of the city, visit special exhibitions in Kiel’s museums and galleries, be the guest at the series of live concerts. And, of course, the numerous ship races and fascinating Tall Ships Parade are the unforgettable spectacles one should see in a lifetime.
Other attractions include;
- St Nicholas Church was built in the 13th century. The oldest building in the city is located at the Old Market. Sculpture of Mind Warrior keeps guard in front of the church
- World-famous Kiel Canal is the world’s busiest artificial waterway. You should definitely take a walk along the beautiful canal.
- Spend some time in the Brunswik district, which houses Zoological Museum and the Institute of Historical Medicine, both offer very interesting collections. Art Gallery and the Old Botanical Garden is also worthy to see.
- The Bergstraße or Hill Street is a place you can party all night long. Have some German fun in the numerous clubs and pubs.
- German Baltic fleet with its submarines and warships in the "Förde".
Some people say that the major attraction of Kiel is its shopping district. True or not – learn it for yourself in a variety of shops at the Holstenstraße, longest shopping street in Germany. Shop in the malls Sophienhof and Citti-Park and when you get exhausted, have a snack in one of the numerous cafés in the old town center.
Beautiful city with the sea in its heart, Kiel attracts people from over the world. Spend your time with maximum comfort at the cheapest hotels in Kiel or the most luxurious ones with the help of Booked.net