"The capital of the German Fairy Tale Route", Kassel is the town, where world famous Brothers Grimm spent the longest and most productive period of their lives. The famous brothers collected and created the “Grimm’s Fairy Tales” in Kassel. No wonder, it’s the main town on the German Fairy Tale Route.
Visitor’s attractions include Sababurg Castle or the Sleeping Beauty’s Castle from the Brothers’ Grimm fairytale which was built in 15th century. By the way, Kassel is considered “the town of castles”, so its castles are a must see. Visit neo-Gothic Löwenburg Castle, and marvel at the number of unique objects, such as medieval furniture, weapons and armour, gaming tables and much more.
Thanks to its beautiful nature, rich history and art, Kassel draws millions of tourists every year. Explore Kassel’s unique cultural treasures staying at the best hotels in Kassel. From the cheap hotel to the one with luxuries, you will find the best offers at Booked.net
The town in the heart of Germany, Kassel takes pride in its fantastic range of museums. Among the most important historical treasures is Wilhelmshöhe Palace, which used to serve as a summer residence of the Emperor Kaiser Wilhelm II. Museum houses the Old Masters collection that includes works of Rembrandt and van Dyck.
Visit one of a kind exhibition of coffins, funeral carriages, gravestones and everything associated with death in the Museum of Sepulchral Culture. Then explore the life in the Natural History Museum, which preserves Europe’s oldest plant collection, famous “Goethe’s elephant” skeleton and much more.
Other attractions include;
- Friedericianum Museum was erected between 1769 and 1779. Built in contemporary neo-classical style, it was the first museum in Europe to open to the public.
- Brothers Grimm Museum will surprise all kinds of visitors. Find out more about the work of two great brothers in the fields of Germanic language and literature, law, history and mythology.
- Wilhelmshöhe Park is a magnificent combination of Baroque landscape and architecture. Among unique attractions are: Wilhelmshöhe Palace, the statue of Hercules, the fountain pond, artificial ruins like Löwenburg and more.
- Museum of Astronomy and Technical History offers you a number of fascinating scientific objects from the period of Renaissance to our days. Attractions include: rare telescopes and clocks, instruments from the fields of physics, microscopy and optics. On the third floor of the central building watch the stars in the Planetarium
- Fritzlar is a town, located 25 kilometres south-west of Kassel. Visit its beautiful sights dating from the 15th century, such as old merchant house, the market fountain and St. Peter’s Cathedral.
It’s hard to imagine Kassel’s cultural life without documenta art exhibition. The world’s most important exhibition of modern and contemporary art takes place every five years in Kassel. Visit the historical event, documenta XIII, in 2012.
Come to see Kassel, where art and nature are equally important, and stay with comfort in the best hotels at affordable price. From the cheap hotel in Kassel to the one with luxuries, find the best deals at Booked.net