Small and cozy German town Gottingen is very popular among the young people. It’s no wonder, for Gottingen is a home to the Georg-August-Universitat or Georgia Augusta University, founded in 1737. The University graduated prominent people such as German chancellors Otto von Bismarck and Gerhard Schroder. This is the place where the famous protest of Gottingen Seven happened in 1837. The group of seven professors included great Brothers Grimm, Wilhelm Albrecht, Heinrich Ewald, Wilhelm Weber, Georg Gervinus and Friedrich Dahlmann. The town that gave life and education to many well-known people, also boasts its 12 Nobel-prize winners. Gottingen with its great intellects and vivid cultural life is a very attractive place for visitors.
In the town you will find hotels to fit paying abilities of all kinds. Booked.net will help you find the best deals on the hotels in Gottingen. In our vast database find the cheapest hotel in Gottingen or the most luxurious one at the lowest price possible.
You will travel back in time on the streets of Gottingen. Its historical buildings didn’t suffer the bombings of World War II, thus they preserved the original charm. Start your encounter with the town in the old Rathaus built in 1369-1444. Visit the most popular landmark of Gottingen, the statue of the Ganseliesel, which serves as a good luck charm for all Ph.D. graduates. Enjoy the medieval beauty of the half-timbered houses, marvel at the fascinating churches and visit the outstanding botanical gardens, established in 1736. If you want to try Gottingen’s delicacies you’ll be surprised by the variety of the international and local restaurants, pubs and cafes of all kinds.
- The statue of Ganseliesel. After receiving their doctorate from the University, the students have to kiss Goose Girl. As a result, the iron girl with geese considered to be “the most kissed girl” in Germany.
- The Town Hall is an outstanding building with the picturesque interior constructed between 1369 and 1444.
- Marienkirche or St. Mary’s Church used to be the church of the Teutonic Knights. Its marvelous bell tower served as a gate into the Neustadt until Gottingen bought it in 1319.
- Johanniskirche or St. John’s Church, built around 1200, is the oldest church in the town
- An abstraction of the Star of David, constructed in 1973, serves as a Synagogue Memorial. It is located on the site of synagogue destroyed in 1938 during the war.
- Bismarcktower above Gottingen offers a nice view over the city. It was built in 1896 in honor of German chancellor Bismarck.
Thanks to the city’s convenient transport location, you can easily reach other prominent cities of Germany by train. Visit the shopping heaven in Hannover, great harbor city Hamburg, Eisencach with historical Wartburg Castle and an outstanding Castle Wilmenshoehe in Kassel.
No matter where you come from, you will easily fit in the diverse lively society of Gottingen. Spend your vacation in the town with fun staying in the cheapest hotels of Gottingen or the most luxurious ones with the help of Booked.net. Book directly and save money with Booked.net.