The island of strong wind, Fuerteventura is a famous center for windsurfing. The long beaches of fine white sand attract millions of visitors from around the world. The weather is really nice; it’s warm in winter and no more than 27°C in August. The island doesn’t offer you many attractions, but you can try its numerous water sports and other interesting activities. Diving and snorkeling, sailing and kiteboarding are very popular on Fuerteventura, but nothing can compare to the number 1 sport – windsurfing, which attracts the beginners and more experienced surfers from all parts of the planet. Perfect weather conditions are the main reason that every year for about 20 years the world championships of windsurfing are held in Jandia.
On the island you will find outstanding Golf Courses and high-class hotels for every taste. Booked.net will help you choose the cheapest hotel in Fuerteventura or the most luxurious one for the best possible price. Book directly and save money with Booked.net.
First things you should experience on the island are the outstanding beaches and crystal clear water. Relax for some time on the beach and the combination of sun, water and wind will give you a perfect tan. If you like to spend time more actively, take one of the numerous excursions and have fun. You can cruise with dolphins in their natural environment on the Dolphin Safari; take a great tour on the Jeep Safari and explore the life on the island, visit its cultural activity center “Casa de los Coroneles”, swim in the blue lagoon and taste Canarian food. Other excursion you can’t miss is the trip to volcanoes. Catch the ferry to Playa Blanca and enjoy the astonishing view of the lava fields. You will be impressed by the fantastic demonstrations of the power of the heat, after which you will taste the food cooked in the natural oven.
Other attractions include:
- Betancuria, which lies in a beautiful valley, was the first capital of Canary Islands. Visit the famous church of Santa Maria that was destroyed by the pirates in 1593 and reconstructed in 1691. After that discover the fascinating archaeological finds in Casa Museo Arquebiologico.
- Antigua is among the oldest villages on Fuerteventura. Visit the enchanting church Cruz de los Caldos, built in 1785, and picturesque windmill which now is a cultural center.
- The village of La Oliva boasts with the pretty little church Parroquiade Nuestra Senora de Candelaria, historical Casa de los Coroneles and the “Casa Mane” art centre.
- The mountain in Tindaya village was considered sacred. The strange carvings of “feet”, discovered at the top of the mountain in 1978, are believed to be the protection from evil spirits.
- Take a small boat to Isla Lobos, the fabulous Nature Reserve with unique flora and fauna not to be found anywhere else.
Enjoy the numerous water sports that the island of the strong wind can offer. If you don’t like extreme sports, observe other people riding the waves during the famous annual Kiteboarding and Windsurfing World Cup. This spectacular competition and a fantastic parade of colorful kites during International Kite Festival are the must-see events.
Have fun on the Carnival, which every village and town on the island hosts between the January and April. To enjoy your time fully, stay in the best hotel at the lowest possible price with the help of Booked.net. From the cheapest hotel on Fuerteventura to the most luxurious one find the best deals at Booked.net.