San Miguel de Allende is an absolutely stunning city located in the mountainous Bajio region of central Mexico. The town’s history dates back to 1542 and is named after the national leader in the Mexico’s independence war who used to live in the area.
The city has been named one of the three top destinations in North America and it is totally understandable why. The colonial architecture is well preserved by city authorities making it possible to admire the majestic original buildings that rise over the town’s streets. Apart from that, numerous museums, galleries, golf courses, high class shops will keep you busy for hours.
The town offers a wide range of restaurants to try Mexican cuisine and hotels to enjoy the best Mexican lifestyle. Book your hotel with Booked.net and get the best deals possible. Whether you are looking for the low-cost options or swanky hotels in San Miguel de Allende, Booked.net has them all.
Listed as a UNESCO World Heritage site, San Miguel de Allende is famous for its large amount of churches and museums. The sights listed below are of the most interest:
- El Chorro area or the oldest part of the town. Here you can see the glorious Parish of San Miguel. This majestic church was built in the 17th century and became a landmark of the town. The beautiful garden lies next to the church
- Centro Cultural, a convent originally, this place currently houses an art institution with a large courtyard and a beautiful fountain
- Allende House, a museum where you can get an insight into the local history from the prehistoric times to nowadays
- Oratorio de San Felipe Neri Church, with absolutely magnificent paintings of Miguel Cabrera decorating its interior
- San Francisco Church which captures the changes in the architectural styles in the 18th century
There’s so much more to see and do in San Miguel de Allende. If you have enough time, it is worth visiting the Juarez Park. You can find a large number of fountains, bridges, playgrounds and places to chill out. The El Charco del Ingenio Botanical Garden is a place where you can have a look at the rare Mexican plants. Make it to Zacateros market or Mercado de Artesanias market if you fancy getting typically Mexican crafts.
San Miguel de Allende is undoubtedly a charismatic and charming city. It is a town that will give you an insight into the Mexican culture and history. Booked.net will assist you in finding the best hotel to meet your preferences.