Chennai is located in the southeastern part of India, on the coast of the Bengal Bay.
The city has numerous beaches, with the longest, Marina Beach, running for 12km. Chennai is an all-year round tourist destination due to few fluctuations in seasonal temperatures. Like any other city in India, Chennai is a city of contrasts - for instance, its architecture combines ancient temples as well as skyscrapers. This place is also renowned for some of the best music and drama performances.
Chennai hotels are in abundance, being sometimes extremely expensive. Booked.net will assist you in finding Chennai hotel to meet your budget and preferences.
The city has a vast history and a number of cultural sights worth seeing. The major tourist attractions include:
- Basilica of the National Shrine of St Thomas, built over the tomb of Apostle Saint Thomas. Basilica is one of three churches in the world constructed over the tombs of Apostles of Jesus Christ.
- St Mary's Church is one of the oldest churches built in the colonized India.
St Thomas Mount is a hill where according to belief, St Thomas (a disciple of Jesus Christ) spent last years of his life. You can reach the mount by climbing up 160 steps.
- Big Mosque or Wallajah Mosque built in 1795 is a structure of a perfect symmetry. It truly belongs to the most important mosques in the city.
- The Parthasarathy Temple is the oldest temple in the Chennai, built by Pallava dynasty. Its architecture is a fusion of several styles.
- Government Museum is one of the oldest museums in India. It houses 46 galleries, including the following sections: archaeology, zoology, bronze gallery, children’s museum, etc.
- National Art Gallery displays paintings dating back to different centuries and schools. Painting on glass can be seen in one of the sections.
The city is famous for the number of parks. For instance, Arinjar Anna Zoological Park was the first zoo in India and is one of the biggest parks in South-East Asia. Slightly outside the city, you can find the Guindy Park which houses more than 20 species of plants and a number of various animals. If you fancy buying some typically Indian house ornaments, Pondy Bazaar and Ranganathan Street are the places to go. For more high-class shopping, you can check out Abirami mega mall, Chennai Citi Center or the Shoppers' Stop.
Booked.net provides you with full description of Chennai hotels, guests’ reviews and pictures. On the website you can find any hotel to make your stay the way you expect it to be.