The heart of industrial Ruhr, Bochum attracts the tourists from around the world with its unique museums, vivid culture and lively entertaining life. The history of Bochum dates back from the 9th century. However, only in the 19th century the city became important, when it grew into the large industrial center of the Ruhr area. The city’s coal mining and steel industries were blooming, and despite today there is no active shaft left in Bochum, you can still feel its industrial spirit in the unique museums of the city. Millions of people from around the world come to learn the industrial history of Germany in the unrivalled German Mining Museum and the Westphalian Industrial Museum located in the former Hannover Coal Mine.
The engine of the Ruhr area, Bochum offers all kinds of attractions to the visitors. Enjoy the perfect service in the best hotels of Bochum, find the hottest deals at Booked.net. From the cheapest hotels in Bochum to the most luxurious ones book hotels directly and save money.
Besides an outstanding industrial heritage, the city boasts its marvelous churches: Propsteikirche St. Peter und Paul, founded by Emperor Charlemagne between 785 and 800; Pauliskirche, the main Protestant church of the city; Christuskirche, one of prettiest churches in Europe and a thousand years old Stiepeler Dorfkirche, which was commemorated by a stamp in 2008. Enjoy the fascinating art collections in the Museum of Art and surreal journey into space in the Zeiss Planetarium of Bochum. Set off on the shopping spree in the city center or disappear in the notorious Bermuda3eck, Bermuda Triangle downtown with about 75 bars, cafes, restaurants and bistros.
- Christuskirche was built in the style of neo-Gothic in 1879. Famous German theologian Hans Ehrenberg served as a minister here, until Nazis arrested him.
- Westphalian Industrial Museum is one the most important historical sites in Bochum. Kids adore Zeche Knirps where they can find out everything about mining through interactive exhibits.
- German Mining Museum will take you to the underground world of mine shafts. The 68m high pithead tower is the most famous landmark of Bochum.
- Zeiss Planetarium will give you an unforgettable cosmic experience.
- Ruhr University Art Collections include coins, antiquities and contemporary art after 1945.
- Museum of Art contains international collections of avant garde art, expressionism, surrealism and more.
- Railway Museum Bochum houses an amazing collection of the historical engines from different eras.
- Ruhr University Botanical Gardens offer you thousands of plants from around the world. There is a tropical house, Chinese garden, a cactus garden and other outstanding attractions.
Bochum is the center for the numerous interesting events such as Bochum Total Rock-Music-Festival, one of the biggest music festivals in Europe; the night of industrial heritage Extraschicht; festival of culinary delicacies Bochum Kulinarisch; festival of steam vehicles Steam Festival and many more. Bochum is also the home to the world-famous musical “Starlight Express”, which attracts millions of spectators every year.
The center of industry, culture and festivals, Bochum is a must visit city. During your trip to Bochum, stay in the best hotels at the lowest possible price with the help of Booked.net. Find the cheap hotel in Bochum or the luxury one at Booked.net