CANBERRA is the capital of Australia and one of its largest cities.
It lies quite far from Sydney and Melbourne, two other cities that used to compete for the status of national capital. The city is located not far from the Brindabella Ranges and slightly more than an hour drive to Australia's east coast. Lake Burley Griffin is located in central Canberra and divides the city on northern and southern parts. Canberra is a very green city due to the garden city movement and thus is sometimes referred to as the "bush capital". Canberra became the capital of the Australian nation in 1913 and since then it has become a house of the government of Australia, the High Court and other very important agencies of national significance.
Canberra hotels are in abundance. To make the right choice, search for Canberra hotels on Booked.net. On the website you will find a range of hotels to meet your budget and preferences.
Canberra has a rich history and a great number of cultural places to attend. Major tourist sights include;
- Australian War Memorial is among most prominent museums in Australia. It features Australian military history from Federation times and exposes various equipment and battle dioramas
- Canberra Museum and Gallery displays art works of local artists.
- National Capital Exhibition records the history of how the city was planned and built
- National Film & Sound Archive offers a unique collection of films featuring some important moments in Australian history
- National Gallery of Australia is the largest art gallery in Australia. It houses a great collection of paintings and sculptures from around the world
- National Portrait Gallery exposes over 400 portraits of people Australia takes pride in
Some other interesting places include the High Court of Australia, National Library of Australia, Old Parliament House, which was an Australian seat of power government from the 1920s to 1988. Parliament House of Australia is a fascinating modern construction. You will be allowed to view proceedings from the public gallery. The National Science and Technology Centre is a great place to visit with kids. The centre offers scientific exhibits that cover various subjects from the principles of physics to complicated issues. The Australian National Botanic Gardens is definitely worth a stroll. Here you can see the largest collection of Australian native flora. The gardens have some nice water dragons and lots of places for a picnic. In the summer, the gardens hold various jazz evenings.
Booked.net will assist you in finding the right Canberra hotel to meet your expectations. Please have a look at Canberra hotels on Booked.net for full information, photos and guests’ reviews.